Saturday, May 21, 2011

Fighting for a cure

This weekend was our Pensacola Relay for Life. Cancer awareness may seem to some like a time to wear pink. Yep, May is Breast Cancer Awaness month (as well as sometime during football season now, apparently). But cancer awareness is a little different in my family.



The two on the ends are my Mom and Dad. They both have battled with the "C" word. It's human nature to forget to be thankful for anything when something is fixed. But, this weekend at Relay was all about remembering, those who fought, those we've lost and those who contiune to fight daily.


My Dad was diagnosed with cancer when he was 25 years old, I was 8 months. I am thankful for Dr. Einhorn in Indiana that "just so happen" to be working on a trial cure at IU Medical Center. My Dad was a candidate and it worked. It's saved my Dad and many others including Lance Armstrong. LIVE STRONG!! He's been Cancer free for 25 years


My Mom heard the "C" word when I was 8 years old. I am thankful for Dr. Sunnenberg. She had progressed into stage 4 by the time they caught it and FOUGHT back. She's been cancer free for 17 years.


My Mom and Dad both are walking miracle. I know God put them through their fights for a reason. Maybe it was so they could support each other through the other's battle. Maybe it was to bring us all closer through prayer and love (may also be the reason I slept with my sister everynight from when I was 4-10, Sorry Nuns)


I will be doing more than just wearing my "Save the Ta-Ta's" tank to the gym. I want to continue to volunteer for the cause and help raise money for a cure. Medicine has always been my passion and though I may not be in Med school like I had planned, there are other plans out there for me.

No comments:

Post a Comment